Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Riley




These are some concept drawings I did for the main character's face for my animated short about Riley and his unusual encounter with an old man at a market, who sells him an old trumpet with peculiar properties tied to it.
I liked the third face I did best, so I decided to take it further and complete the character head to toe. I usually put too much detail into my drawings, so reaching this simple yet complex look was really tough at first. I probably tried drawing 30 or more different faces throughout the week before I finally was successful. I really tried to focus on simplicity and use as little detail as possible, plus capture a casual look and pose throughout his body. The funny thing about the figure drawing is that all of it but the shoes were drawn and finished within 4 hours the other day. I spent about 2 and a half hours last night drawing 15-20 different pairs of shoes until I finally got the simple design I wanted, plus a look that matched his outfit and was the right perspective I wanted. Let me know what you think!

No comments: